Tuesday 7 October 2014

Location Scout

With all pictures just click on the desired one to see a full view. For some galleries there are more than the photos on the first display, to see more click the arrow that comes up when hovering the mouse over the galleries.

Lowestoft
Get Adobe Flash player
 Above are the images I took for my first location at Lowestoft. The beach was sandy and shingle but the only part I could access was shingle as a lot of the beach was shut off due to damage and repairs which could restrict our use and create a little bit of an eyesore in the background, it also narrows down places for the public to go, meaning that it is more likely that people will walk past, which could ruin the effect. Another part that could ruin the video is the wind turbine, although pretty it could distract and mean that I could only film from one side of the person, therefore limiting different shots. There is also a lack of seagulls which could be a problem for the frames that involve the character running to the seagulls. The promenade was very effective and would be very effective for the busker and the backdrop, but along this walk there is a cycle path in the centre of the walkway which could not just be dangerous for us but for the people on the bikes, as well as putting my footage in danger of poor quality. For this reason I conclude that Lowestoft will not be used for neither parts of the video due to being unsuitable surroundings, repairs and lack of seagulls.

Southwold

Get Adobe Flash player
 Above are the images I took for Southwold. I found that the fish and chip location and set out were ideal and I could video the protagonist walking in and out of the chip shot effectively, although the camera would have to be positioned on the other side of the road which could mean that uncontrollably cars could drive through and interfere with the shot. Southwold also is home to narrow streets and paths, making it hard to film and navigate around public while filming is something that could reduce the quality of filming as well as being dangerous to the public. The beach is mixed shingle and sand but home to a low amount of seagulls, meaning it would be difficult to film the seagull scene. While on my location scout I really liked the texture of the sand and the waves, I started to appreciate the shapes and curves, giving me inspiration for not just shots during the music video but for the digi-pak.  Beach huts are very scenic and picturesque, giving the video positive connotations, yet this could all depend on the light, gradient or filter that is added in post-production, overall these huts are huge connotations of the beach and are possibly considered convention so it would be an effective subject for an establishing shot. The lighthouse is also a nice landmark strongly associated with the seaside but shots would be harder to include down to a built up area not allowing me to get a distance that would create an effective shot. Other considerations for establishing shots are the street art, the view from the pier and the novelty clock. After investigating the pier I find that there is a whole groups of plaques with different inscriptions, this would add a whole new emotional depth and create a new atmosphere. The high amount of cars ruins the high street and overall I feel that Southwold would be inappropriate for the first main part of the music video, but it would be very suitable for the second part, yet during this section I desire to keep the location as anonymous as possible so therefore the distinctive body of the pier couldn't be seen but I could use the end and even film towards the horizon to create the mysterious and give the audience the feel that they are 'looking at infinity'.

Aldeburgh

Get Adobe Flash player
 Aldeburgh has a long shoreline, shingle beach with varying heights which could be difficult due to uneven ground but the spirit level on the tripod should keep my shots even as well as could create interesting shots where I could experiment with my height compared to the subject I'm filming. There are a high amount of seagulls making it ideal for the first section of the video. Again, I found the steps and tall houses interesting and could be used to create establishing shots allowing me to capture the atmosphere of the town and the texture of the sea/beach allowing me to capture the true style of the beach. There are two chip shops, one has a increasingly high amount of rubbish by the side and ruins the professional style of the shot but at the other shop there are lots of cars which also ruins the style and professional tone of the shots, so I will have to revise the angle I take or position my camera at. There are wide paths which gives me a good opportunity to get angles of the protagonist from all sides without becoming an obstruction to the public. The art sculpture 'The Scallop' is also good for establishing shots as well as good to explore with the camera to give the audience a feel of the sense of adventure. Overall I will use Aldeburgh for the first part of the video.











1 comment: