Thursday 2 October 2014

Time Lapse Experiments


Above I experimented with Time Lapse. I set up a JVC camera in the corner of the kitchen and filmed for 13 minutes. I then proceeded to upload this to Adobe Premier Pro and then sped it up to around 2500%, which was similar to the technique I used during the Door sequence, where I altered the speed through the speed/duration tool.
I really like this technique of time passing as in the video it depicts 13 minutes within thirty seconds and if I want to show any major time movements as I only have two minutes and to truly be able to depict a narrative some elements might have to be time-lapsed to depict progression, especially if I want to fit a day within such a short period of time. As this time depiction is quite vital within being able to fit the narrative in I will explore other techniques which could emphasise a day or hour passing more obviously, as the use of a kitchen doesn't give the viewer any clues in the amount of time that has passed, only sped up an action.
I really like the style of the 'jolty' movement as little movements are abandoned meaning that things move randomly and are considered unimportant to the process, in some ways I like this but overall I feel for my music video that I want to pay more attention to detail so I could slow this down so the movements are there, but I still think that there should be a meaning to every detail to produce an effective composition.


Above is another time lapse taken on my phone. It records for 1 hour and 15 minutes and documents a bus journey. I definitely feel that this needed a tripod and even though I used the stabilizing tool on YouTube there is still movement of the camera which really effects the image. This reminds me of the importance of a tripod. 




Above is a time lapse more conventional of one in a music video. I really like this but feel that I got the balance between night sections and day sections wrong. (The original video was around 8 hours).

No comments:

Post a Comment